Transition Towns attempt in their local area to find, support and create positive projects for change. Reskilling people to rely less on oil, in a low-carbon economy, reducing their personal carbon footprint, and rebuilding a sense of community.
Transition Town Poole Meeting Dates
We meet on the Second Tuesday of each month, . All welcome, the next meetings are planned for
- Tues 14 May 2013 7:30pm, at Community Cafe, High Street, Poole.
- Tues 11 June 2013 7:30pm, at Friends Meeting House, 52 Wimborne Road, Poole.
- other events around the county, see the Dorset Sustainable Events Calander (Green Dates link to the right)
Please contact Andy H on 01202 389782 for details.
Some of our key projects;
Give and Take event
- Plannned for sometime soon St Paul’s Church Hall, Canford Heath. Members of the public are encouraged to bring unwanted items to give away, and/or to pick up items for free – giving the items a new lease of life, and saving waste from going to landfill. These have been successfully held in other areas, but TT Poole are breaking new ground in the borough by holding this event.
How well do you know your neighbours ?
Two years ago, the Eden project in Cornwall challenged everyone to throw a party in your own street – invite all the neighbours, and reconnect with those around you. It is easy to get depressed by the news of far off events, but far more important to link to the people nearby. And it’s easy if everyone pitches in. This year, the date is set for Sun 2nd June www.thebiglunch.com, but actually any date you like to make an effort is good enough.
Transition BH Green Drinks
An informal opportunity to talk about green issues with likeminded folk. See Facebook . Second Thursday of the month. Venues alternate between;
|Chaplins/Cellar Bar, Boscombe|
|Angel Inn, Poole|
|Goat and Tricycle, Bournemouth|
We are currently working especially on the following projects;
- Abundance – cropping fruit and nuts that might otherwise be wasted
- Renewable Energy – Poole Tidal Energy Partnership- community bidding for funding
- Food issues - consumer co-op, and supporting local small businesses and food producers
- Transition Together – small groups of friends exploring potential change (Transition BH link)
- Turners Field – a wild area in Upper Parkstone that could be a great wild/community space for the people of Poole
but please also check on the right the ideas and other projects we are working on and keen to pursue
If you live, work or play in Poole, you are invited to join the group, or just to take some of our ideas and apply them to your own life. We are part of the Transition BH hub, with other groups in Bournemouth, Christchurch, Wimborne and Purbeck.
We have a Google group, which allows members to share ideas, http://groups.google.com/group/transition-poole